5-Day Training Course Non Scheduled at this time
Our 5-day aquaponic course teaches larger backyard systems. Participants learn water quality, plant selection, nutrient uptake, tilapia biology and aquaculture. This course also teaches an introduction into recirculating aquaculture and tilapia production in microalgae-based systems. Students will learn the different options that exist setting up aquaculture and aquaponic systems. This course teaches the principles that you need to know for efficient operation and has lots of hands on training that will allow participants to get a feel of what it takes to be a successful aquaponics farmer. We will assist each participant individually to determine what system will best fit their needs.
In-classroom lectures as well as hands-on experience. Fast-paced, interactive, and challenging. The informal setting is conducive to questions and discussion.
Intended for individuals that are seriously considering investing in a larger (4,000-8,000 gallon) aquaponic system to produce safe, healthy, and nutritious fish and vegetables for consumption, business, or a community garden/farm project. Also suitable for anyone seeking a comprehensive knowledge of aquaponics for any purpose.
- Aquaponics Basics - The essential components of any successful aquaponic system.
- System Design / Construction - Concepts and techniques.
- Plumbing – How to arrange and plumb the system, taking the fear out of cutting and gluing pipes.
- Water Chemistry and pH – Whoever said high school chemistry wouldn't help you in life?
- Microbes – See the invisible side of aquaponics and it's critical importance in permaculture systems.
- Fish Health – The how-and-why of fish selection, care requirements, problem prevention, treatments, humane handling and marketability.
- Plants – Commonly-grown plants and their specific needs, focusing on crop testing, selection, propagation, and harvesting.
- Integrated Pest Management – Learn about the destructive soft-bodied and chewing insects you’re most likely to come across in aquaponics and how to manage them using predatory, natural, and biological methods.
- Farm Management – Gain farm team management skills that require good communication and setting short and long term goals, as well as knowing yourself and defining your meaning of success.